Saturday, March 15, 2014

Moody Spring Break

In elementary and high school, this was a highly sought after time of the year, third to Summer Break and Winter Break. Now that I am back in school on a campus, I had the same feeling of years past. The anticipation and excitement of a vacation and a break from studying. Well, I'm not as young as I use to be and the excitement of the day ended up sleeping late in the hotel room without any four-legged children waking me up at the crack of dawn whining for food or bathroom needs. Yes, the years of crowds of sexy people at the beach playing volley ball and swimming are a thing of the past. At least for this year. We traveled to Galveston which is only about 2 1/2 hours South of College Station. The beach is nice, but it was just my luck that the weather was a little too cool for beach time. Overall, it ended up being a great getaway. We did some much needed sleeping and reconnecting without digital distraction and school work. We enjoyed shopping and did a little site seeing. One of the highlights of sightseeing was a home called the "Moody Mansion". The Moody family moved to Galveston in late 1800's and purchased the home in 1900 just after a huge hurricane. The home is beautiful and definitely ahead of it's time with ventilation systems and even electricity early on. Carlos, being a history major as his bachelor's loved the history of it, while I enjoyed the design of the home, but especially the stories of the previous residents. As we passed through the home, I had a strange feeling of a presence in a room on the first floor. Now, I am not psychic not claim any 6th sense, and I wasn't sure if it was the layout of the room or perhaps just an odd feeling at that moment. I returned to the room before we left and had the same feeling. It was like a thickness in the air, a presence close to me, and the thought of a gentlemen in the room. It wasn't at all a scary or negative feeling, just like someone trying to get my attention. When reading the history of the family and listening to the tour guide, the name 'Shearn' as something odd and perhaps some 'gay-related' about this family member kept highlighting in my mind. When we left the home, I felt drained. I felt like I need to rest or get a coffee. I told my Carlos my experience and he reported not sensing anything. Later that night, Carlos took upon himself to do some research on the family. Come to find out, Shearn Jr., whom died in 1996 had a lover with a Las Vegas entertainer, another male. According to some post on the Internet, he was peculiar and at times odd as to have penguins as pets and a sliding board going from a second floor room to the pool at his home. There were not any records of him passing away in the Moody Mansion or any sitings of the such, but I do wonder if his spirit is there along with other family members. Then, as Carlos and I were visiting his family's home, he wanted to make his presence known to us. To let us know, there were "family" members in this Moody family. Even though the experienced initially made me feel physically drained and then upon finding out about Shearn Jr. character, made me feel a little aghast that my feelings at the home were on target, I did however felt a little more welcomed to the city of Galveston with a connection of sorts to the home and it's previous family.

http://www.moodymansion.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shearn_Moody,_Jr.