Monday, May 26, 2014

Children vs. Pets

Ever since I can remember, I have contemplated the idea of raising children. When I was teenager, I remember telling my parents that I wanted about 10 or more. I use to teach preschool at church and loved the excitement of children learning something new. I was a nurse in a pediatric emergency room and enjoyed caring for them. Then, as time went on and the years passed, my thoughts changed to maybe not 10, but how about just 1. As life progressed as life does, I realized that children may not be a wise option for me. I feel I would have or could an amazing parent. My nurturing side is amazing and feel I could instill great qualities in a child. The problem is when I stop and think about the 24-hour commitment of being responsible for another human being scares the crap out of me. I love my pets, but they can handle time alone. The dog has little wants or needs. After a certain age, my routine is their routine. When I leave out of town, someone can watch them or they can stay in a kennel in an emergency situation. Could you image dropping a child off at a kennel? The cat takes care of himself. As long as there is food, water, and a clean litter box, he can go a day without anyone being there. You would be arrested for leaving a child unattended for 24 hours. After I got married in 2006, Carlos and I have discussed adopting. The idea sounds fantastic, but then the reality sets in and we say no. No. No. Now, if there was a situation that we had to step in and take care of a family or friend's child, there would be no hesitation, but the act of purposefully taking on the obligation is too overwhelming. We have greatly considered being donors for another couple to co-parent with the other couple being the primary care-givers. That idea is more appealing, sort of the fabulous every other weekend and special occasion parents. Only God knows what the future holds. I think many ventures are started too half-hazard and then there's no return. Raising a child, in my opinion should be thought about and considered carefully and thoroughly.